Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Story-Hour oops

I thought I'd share something funny that happened to me today that illustrates how experience is helpful, since I have no idea what I'm doing yet and if I were more seasoned then this little oops wouldn't have happened. I've been doing a Pre-K storytime at one of my local elementary schools, and at the teacher's request I've been using books that relate to their theme of the week. I went to do one today, and I brought my three books, and when I got there the teacher told me that she'd just read one of them to the kids yesterday. So I smiled and laughed and tried to read the other two slowly.

What I should have done, I realize now, is had either an extra book along just in case or just something little memorized to take up a bit of time in the case of the unexpected happening. I'm probably not the only one that this has happened to, so if anybody has other anecdotes or tips for avoiding this kind of situation, do share.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

Leaf through Honey, I Love by Eloise Greenfield. I always share a poem or two from here with the kids (from preschool up to 4th grade). I explain to the kids that I'll say a line and they should repeat it (or "say it back.")Together we'll make a poem. This will take up a few minutes and you can chew up another minute or three by talking about the poem after (concepts of rhythm, rhyme, what's another word that could go here, etc). My particular favorites from this book are "Things," "Rope Rhyme," and "Riding on a Train."

Kate said...

Songs are always a good filler, too. In a pinch, even one that seems to us like a boring standard (Heads, Shoulders,... etc.) is fun to a kid! And they don't care whether you can sing in tune or not. Seriously.

Unknown said...

Take the Storytelling Workshop offered by FLP. Sharing and hearing stories from the other librarians gave me many great tellable tales to share when the books just don't do...